This Scrutiny Committee came into being on 12th January 2006, bringing together the children and youth responsibilities of the former Education and Lifelong Learning and Health and Community Services Overview and Scrutiny Committees.
Children's Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee
The full portfolio for this Committee is as follows:
To fulfil all the functions of an overview and scrutiny committee in relation to children's services, and in particular (but not limited to):
- School services and all of the functions of the council as an education authority under the Education Acts, School Standards and Framework Act 1998 and all other relevant legislation in force from time to time;
- the provision of opportunities for education, training and learning outside the school environment including pre-school, community learning and youth justice issues;
- to fulfil the overview and scrutiny role in relation to the development of the council's asset management plan for schools, behaviour support plan, early years development and childcare plan, education development plan, lifelong learning and development plan, policy framework for admission to schools, school organisation plan, special educational needs action plan and youth justice plan;
- fostering and adoption and family placements;
- children and family services including all functions and duties of the Council under all relevant legislation in force from time to time relating to children's social work and social services;
- in particular to fulfil the overview and scrutiny role in relation to the children and young people's strategic plan;
- youth health promotion;
- youth strategy;
- Mental and physical disabilities in young people;
- quality protects;
- collaborative working with health and voluntary agencies; and
- scrutiny of work areas within the remit of the Director of Children's Services.
The Overview and Scrutiny Committees now have 12 elected members each, and are chaired by members of the ruling group. This committee also has four representatives from outside the Council.
Go to top of page
Go to the Home (Front) Page